Friday, April 6, 2018

More Buyers Gamble with Sight-Unseen Offers

I was really surprised to read this article in the Realtor Magazine (National Association of Realtors) about the number of people making offers without seeing the property first.
The source of the article is a survey of more than 1,500 home purchasers by the real estate company Redfin.

The figures are, I think, somewhat staggering:
in June of 2016, 19% of purchasers made an offer sight-unseen,
in May of 2017, it was 33%, and
in November/December of 2017, it was up to 35%.

It has happened to me to have a client make a purchase "long distance", so I understand the circumstances under which it can happen, but this number still surprises me.  I guess with the market going up so much, and properties selling so fast (especially in the Silicon Valley), one can see how some home buyers may have to cut some corners.

You can click on these links for more details on the Realtor.org article, and the original article on the Redfin web site.

Nationwide, US home prices are up 6.7% year-over-year in February.   

Thanks for reading!
Francis

Price Your Home
Detailed, local trends etc...
Current mortgage rates

No comments: